Monday, June 17, 2013

"Time ... Out!



H
ey, "sistah," let's keep this situation real, OK? And I'm not referring to all of you (If the shoe fits, though ... ). 
Just because I'm being cordial and speaking to you (basically, because we are passing by each other on the street or we are both waiting for the same crosslight to change and we happen to be standing near each other), there is no reason to look at me as if I have three eyes on my face – or two heads on my shoulders – when I say something to the effect of "Nice day" or "It sure gets hot in the Valley, doesn't it?" or even a simple and innocuous "Good morning."

I am not attempting to "push up" on, "step to" or "come on to" you. Trust me.

Not that I've done any kind of a scientific experiment, but the majority of the time that I get, or witness someone else getting, the on-the-street cold shoulder, the person giving it is a "sistah," a black woman, an African-American woman ... however you want to dice it; it is what it is, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around it.

And I do understand if you don't want to have a conversation with a complete stranger. I get it. No worries. But I'm from the Midwest, where when someone speaks to you – as in a friendly "Good afternoon," or "How's it going?" – you speak back.

I consider myself open-minded. And I've been told that I am not a bad-looking guy, and my "dating history" would reveal members of humanity who represent a rainbow coalition. I speak to just about everyone. That's the way I was cut. Also, I don't usually look to be homeless – unless I am playing a role on the set of a TV show, movie, commercial or music video.

And before you come up with a "rationale" to this, something that suggests I should get used to "the big city," know that before I made Los Angeles my home, I grew up not terribly far from Chicago and I've lived in New York City (during 9/11, even), and Baltimore and Japan – among other places – so I know it's not me. As a matter of fact, I'm certain of it.

A kind word here and there goes a long way.

Something to think about.

I'm just saying ...

No comments:

Post a Comment