Sunday, February 13, 2011

"The Grammys"


I just finished watching the 53rd annual Grammy Awards show on TV.


Call me crazy, but I am not in the groove anymore where this award show is concerned. For one thing, the show, which was televised from Staples Center downtown, not too terribly far from where I live, was broadcast on CBS and began at 8 tonight. But by the time the show aired on the West Coast, it had actually been over for about three hours. I'm not sure why that happened, but it threw me off.

If someone could explain to me why this arrangement was made, I'd appreciate it.

I used to follow the Grammys ... to a deeper level than I do now, but to tell you the truth, I was not familiar with more than half of the artists who were nominated and won. So, in keeping with the times, I watched a webcast of the arrivals on my computer and I even tweeted after seeing some of the interesting and entertaining tweets posted by others.

I had to add my two cents worth.

Actually, it was pretty cool that the pre-televised version of the show was streamed on the Web as well.

As I call myself a bit of a music lover, even to the point of "messing around" on the trumpet now and again (the drunker you get, the better I sound), I enjoy the Grammys. There were several highlights that stand out:

  • Lady Gaga arrived in her "egg" and when she "hatched," she looked like '80s-circa Madonna. Both Madonna and Lady Gaga are on my iPod, by the way.

  • Eminem's performance (even though he wore his pants down his butt) and the fact that he's been known not to smile in public.

  • Cee Lo Green, accompanied by Gwyneth Paltrow and several Muppetlike puppets, performed "Forget You" (the song's actual title is "F-word You," which I found hilarious) -- but you cannot say the F-word on network TV, right?

  • Justin Bieber did NOT win a Grammy for new artist of the year, which went to jazz bassist Esperanza Spalding. Excuse me, but I do not suffer from Bieber-fever. And according to one 5-year-old I know, "He sings like a girl."

  • 1 comment: